In this episode of the Generosity Podcast, Todd McMichen is joined by Patrick Johnson, the director of Generous Church. During their conversation, they discuss moving from microwave generosity to enjoying a feast.
“I tried to discover, ‘what’s the core to creating a generous culture?’”
“One of the key things I’ve learned is that we’ve confused biblical generosity with fundraising in churches today.”
“How do we move this conversation of biblical generosity from fundraising to disciple-making?”
“The felt need was if we are truly serious about our discipleship, how do we have 50 percent of our people who give nothing? And how do we break through that in a cultural way?”
“If you are truly going to infuse culture, it’s a 3 to 5 year process.”
“Most pastors want a microwave approach, but you are teaching me how to cook a feast.”
“If we get the right leaders with the right vision we can sustain this past the short term.”
“We have an opportunity as a church to usher in Jesus, help them find meaning, and then help them grow as generous disciples.”
“Teach on generosity without an ask.”
“For people to grow, it has to be about relationship, experience, and information.”
President and Chief Architect
Patrick is the founder of GenerousChurch and has a passion to see a revolution of whole-life generosity
flourish in churches. Over the last 15 years, he’s partnered with Leadership Network, the Wesleyan
Denomination, Converge and other church networks to equip leaders to unleash generous disciples.
Leveraging the power of Scripture and story, the products and experiences that he’s created have been
used by over 2,000 churches to transform the hearts and minds of Jesus-followers toward generosity as
a way of living versus an act of giving.
Currently, Patrick directs the vision of GenerousChurch and lives in Prairie Village, KS with his wife,
Jennifer, and their children.
- Generous Church (https://www.generouschurch.com)
- Lifeway Generosity (https://lifewaygenerosity.com)
- Overflow (https://www.lifeway.com/en/product/overflow-P005812481)
- The Genius of Generosity Guide (https://www.lifeway.com/en/product/the-genius-of-generosity-guide-P005504185)
- The Genuis of Generosity DVD (https://www.lifeway.com/en/product/the-genius-of-generosity-dvd-P005506215)
- Disappearing Church by Mark Sayers (https://www.lifeway.com/en/product/disappearing-church-P006104075)
- This Cultural Moment Podcast (https://thisculturalmoment.com/)
- I Like Giving (https://www.ilikegiving.com/)